Plan Your Career

Working During Studies in Australia

International students have the option of working part – time while studying in Australia. You are allowed to take up jobs on – campus as well as off – campus. Wherever you choose to work, make sure that you comply with your visa requirements and Australian laws regarding the same.

Most international students choose to work part – time along with their studies. Working part – time will help you earn some money on the side, even though it would not be enough to fund your studies. You will also get a chance to gain vital work – experience in Australia by doing such work.

Even though part-time jobs are widely available, there is competition for them. Also, it is more likely that you will find such jobs in a bigger city like Melbourne or Sydney rather than in a small – town or in the regional areas of Australia.

As an international student pursuing a Bachelor’s degree, you are not allowed to work for more than 40 hours per fortnight (14 days), while the course is in session. This comes to around 20 hours per week on an average. You will be allowed to work full – time during vacations and on holidays.

International students who come to Australia to pursue Master’s – Research and Doctoral courses can work full – time without any restrictions.

You will not be allowed to start working in Australia until and unless your course (undergraduate or postgraduate) has commenced.

Majority of the international students find jobs in the Hospitality and Retail sectors. The type of job you get can vary. You can get an entry – level job such as waiting tables or you can work at a higher post by working as a part - time programmer for an IT startup.

The typical salary that international students earn from such jobs is somewhere around 15 Australian Dollars per hour. This can vary depending upon your qualifications and the type of job you are doing.

To work part – time, you will first need to be enrolled in a full – time degree course in Australia. A full – time degree course is one in which you are earning 24 credits per semester.

You will also need a ‘Tax File Number’ or TFN and a bank account in Australia in order to start working part – time. You can obtain your Tax File Number from the Australian Taxation Office. You will receive your Tax File Number within 10 – 28 days of your filing of the application. You can apply for the Tax File Number any time once you are in Australia but before you start working part – time.

Keep in mind that you will need to adhere to your college or universities’ guidelines and regulations as some universities impose certain restrictions with regards to part – time work for internationals students.

Study in Australia